If you plan to ship your car from Atlanta to Phoenix, there is more to it than meets the eye. Direct Express Auto Transport has been shipping cars for over 20 years across the country with extraordinary success. We know what we are doing and will share our considerable car shipping experience from Atlanta to Phoenix in this blog article.
Our auto transport services are an excellent solution for safely, quickly, and conveniently shipping your car from Atlanta to Phoenix. You want to get the best deal possible without compromising quality and reliability. We get that. That is where we come in. In this article, we will provide expert advice on what it takes to transport your vehicle.
We will examine the car shipping cost from Atlanta to Phoenix, customer service, preparing your car, insurance coverage, and delivery time. Whether you’re moving for a job, are a college student, bought a car online, are a snowbird auto shipper, or have other reasons to transport your vehicle, you’ve come to the right place. So, let’s hit the road and figure out how best to get your car shipped as soon as possible from Atlanta to Phoenix.
What Affects The Direct Express Auto Transport Cost Calculator from Atlanta to Phoenix
Several factors can affect the cost of auto transport from Atlanta to Phoenix.
Distance From Atlanta to Phoenix
Distance is the primary factor for our car shipping cost calculator. While the cost per mile inches downward as the distance increases, the overall cost goes up never-the-less the farther we need to transport your vehicle. That makes plenty of sense. The car shipping route from Atlanta to Phoenix is roughly 1800 miles, which puts it in the long-run category.
The Size of the Vehicle Being Shipped
The next most important factor is the vehicle size you are shipping. An auto transport carrier is usually a 3-car, 5-car, 7-car, or 10-car hauler. We mean by “cars” sedans, like a Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, or Ford Mustang. Those are cars, folks. If a vehicle is significantly longer, higher, or heavier, it may mean that the car transport carrier can fit or haul fewer cars. Whichever vehicle causes any of those things intrudes on the total number to be carried, and therefore should compensate the auto shipping company. So, what makes a vehicle considered longer, higher, or heavier?
Length of the Vehicle Matters
The average sedan is 180 to 198 inches long and fits perfectly on most auto transport carriers. Every auto shipping load is a mathematical puzzle; once a vehicle is 200 inches or longer, it becomes more challenging to ship. The transporter might lose a spot by taking that longer vehicle at a certain point, which can vary with each amalgamated load. We often see that with vehicles over 215 inches. Think Lincoln Continental or Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. So vehicles over 200 inches long tend to incrementally cost more to transport, anywhere from 10% to as much as nearly double, depending on how much longer it is.
Height of the Vehicle
People forget about height, but it’s vital to an auto transport company. Think of the highway bridges that all trucks must get under. Those overpass bridges are about 13.6 feet high. Once a vehicle is about 75 inches tall, it becomes a concern for the car shipping service. When a vehicle is 80 inches or higher, it is a problem because most auto transporters lose a spot on their rig. That vehicle, or its owner, should pay more for the intrusion. Think Chevy Suburban.
Weight of the Vehicle
Every truck driver must abide by the overall weight restrictions to pass inspection on the highway scales, including auto transport companies. In the simplest terms, in round numbers, here are the average weights per type of vehicle:
Sedans = 4,000 lbs average
SUVs = 5,000 lbs average
Pickup Trucks = 6,000 lbs average
Vans = 4,500 lbs average
There are wide variations for each. As you can see, keeping in mind the weight scales, an auto transport carrier who aims to keep the overall weight of his combined vehicles at less than 45,000 lbs would take out his calculator and figure something like this:
Auto Transport Amalgamated Load Examples:
11 Sedans = 44,000 lbs
10 Vans = 45,000 lbs
9 SUVs = 45,000 lbs
7 Pickup Trucks = 42,000 lbs
10 Sedans + 1 SUV = 45,000 lbs
9 Sedans + 1 Pickup Truck = 42,000 lbs
8 Sedans + 1 SUV + 1 Pickup Truck = 43,000 lbs
7 Sedans + 1 SUV + 1 Pickup Truck + 1 Van = 43,500 lbs
6 Sedans + 3 SUVs + 1 Pickup Truck = 45,000 lbs
5 Sedans + 2 SUVs + 2 Pickup Trucks = 42,000 lbs
4 Sedans + 3 SUVs + 2 Pickup Trucks = 43,000 lbs
4 Sedans + 2 SUVs + 3 Pickup Trucks = 44,000 lbs
4 Sedans + 2 SUVs + 2 Pickup Trucks + 1 Van = 42,500 lbs
3 Sedans + 3 SUVs + 2 Pickup Trucks + 1 Van = 43,500 lbs
3 Sedans + 3 SUVs + 3 Pickup Trucks = 45,000 lbs
As you can see, there are many combinations for the auto transport dispatch team to consider. The truck driver cannot haul as many SUVs, pickup trucks, or vans as he can sedans. So those heavier vehicles must be priced differently, as in more.
That also explains why carriers are concerned about customers packing their vehicles with extra personal items. They are rightfully worried about overall weight and getting through the highway scales without penalty or problems, especially when car shipping from Atlanta to Phoenix.
The time of year and the direction you are shipping your car affects the price. It has everything to do with Supply & Demand. In other words, Economics 101. Using Florida as an example, in late December or early January of any year, there may be ten times as many cars shipping to Florida than leaving. That tends to drive up the price to Florida, usually about 33%, and drive down the cost of car shipping from Florida, again about 33%.
That scenario reverses every April and May as the so-called snowbirds return home.
Open-Air or Enclosed Auto Transport Service
There are two choices every car shipping customer needs to make regarding the type of transport carrier they prefer. Each has pros and cons, and the cost is a significant consideration.
Open-Air transport is open or exposed to the elements, including dirt, debris, and weather. About 97% of all vehicle shipments are open-air. Why? Because it is roughly 33% cheaper auto transport than enclosed.
Enclosed transport, on the other hand, offers more protection for your car and involves transporting it in an enclosed trailer. Because fewer vehicles can fit inside an enclosed trailer, it tends to be more expensive. If you have an expensive car, consider it insurance. People with antique or classic collector cars also should strongly consider shipping enclosed.
Low-ground clearance vehicles that are 4.5″ inches or lower should go enclosed too. Why? Because enclosed transport carriers can load those vehicles without scratching or damaging the vehicle’s undercarriage.
Auto Transport Service from Atlanta to Phoenix
The distance between Atlanta and Phoenix is approximately 1800 miles, a very long and arduous drive. I don’t know about you, but I get stiff sitting in one spot for that long. Driving from Atlanta to Phoenix would take about 36 hours, depending on traffic and weather conditions. Count me out. It is time-consuming, stressful, expensive, and more.
It makes sense to safely and securely ship a car from Atlanta to Phoenix.
What Is Going On In Atlanta, Georgia?
Atlanta, GA, is a vibrant city with lots of things to do. Here are some of the best activities to consider while in Atlanta:
1. Visit the Georgia Aquarium: The Georgia Aquarium is the largest in the Western Hemisphere and is home to over 100,000 animals from around the world. Visitors can see whale sharks, dolphins, beluga whales, and more.
2. Explore the Atlanta Botanical Garden: The Atlanta Botanical Garden is a beautiful oasis in the city’s heart. It features over 30 acres of gardens, including a Japanese garden, a rose garden, and a children’s garden.
3. Tour the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site: The Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site is a must-visit for anyone interested in civil rights history. The site includes King’s childhood home, the Ebenezer Baptist Church, where he preached, and his final resting place.
4. Catch a game at Mercedes-Benz Stadium: Atlanta has several professional sports teams, including the Falcons (NFL) and Atlanta United (MLS). Catching a game at the impressive Mercedes-Benz Stadium is a great way to experience Atlanta’s sports culture.
5. Visit the World of Coca-Cola: The World of Coca-Cola is a museum that tells the story of the world’s most famous soft drink. Visitors can learn about the history of Coca-Cola, see rare memorabilia, and even taste different Coke products from around the world.
6. Walk the BeltLine: The Atlanta BeltLine is a former railway corridor transformed into a pedestrian-friendly trail. It connects several neighborhoods and parks and features public art installations and street performers.
These are just a few of the best things to do in Atlanta, but the city has so much more to offer. Whether interested in history, nature, sports, or food, Atlanta has something for everyone.
What about Phoenix? What is there to see and do?
Phoenix is a vibrant city that offers many activities for visitors and locals alike. Here are some of the best things to do in Phoenix:
1. Visit the Desert Botanical Garden: This 140-acre garden is home to over 50,000 plants worldwide, including cactus, succulents, and wildflowers. It’s a great place to explore the natural beauty of the desert.
2. Explore the Phoenix Art Museum: This museum has a collection of over 20,000 works of art from around the world, including American, European, and Asian art. It’s a must-visit destination for art lovers.
3. Hike Camelback Mountain: This popular hiking trail offers stunning views of Phoenix and the surrounding mountains. It’s a challenging hike, but the views are worth it.
4. Visit the Heard Museum: This museum showcases Native American art and culture, including pottery, jewelry, and textiles. It’s a great place to learn about the history and traditions of the Southwest.
5. Take a hot air balloon ride: Phoenix is known for its beautiful sunrises and sunsets, and one of the best ways to experience them is from a hot air balloon. Several companies offer hot air balloon rides over the city.
6. Enjoy a day at the Phoenix Zoo: This zoo is home to over 1,400 animals worldwide, including elephants, giraffes, and lions. It’s a great place to take the family for a fun day out.
7. Wander through Old Town Scottsdale: This historic district is home to art galleries, boutiques, and restaurants. It’s a great place to soak up the local culture and enjoy shopping and dining.
Overall, Phoenix offers a wide range of activities for visitors and locals, from exploring the natural beauty of the desert to enjoying the city’s cultural attractions and outdoor adventures.
What is the best route for car shipping from Atlanta to Phoenix?
One of the best routes for a car transporter is to take I-20 West from Atlanta through Alabama and Mississippi, then I-10 West through Louisiana, Texas, and New Mexico before finally reaching Phoenix. This route covers a distance of approximately 1,600 miles and can take between 24 and 28 hours, depending on traffic and stops.
Along the way, the auto transport driver will pass through several communities, including Birmingham and Tuscaloosa in Alabama, Meridian and Jackson in Mississippi, Baton Rouge and Lafayette in Louisiana, Houston and San Antonio in Texas, and Las Cruces in New Mexico. Each town and city has plenty of attractions, restaurants, and accommodations you can explore during your trip.
Alternatively, if the car shipper has time, he can take a more scenic route through the southern states, such as the Natchez Trace Parkway or the Great River Road. These routes may take longer, but they offer stunning countryside views, historic sites, and charming small towns he would need help finding on the interstate.
Comparing Direct Express Auto Transport Quotes from Atlanta to Phoenix
When choosing an auto transport company, comparing quotes from different companies is essential. That will help you understand how much you can expect to pay for transportation and what services are included in the price. Direct Express Auto Transport uniquely offers three levels, or tiers, of pricing and service.
Standard Tier, or rate, is usually assigned to a carrier within several days from the first date available. And then typically picked up one or two days after being assigned. It is the most basic market rate; we suggest using it if you are not in a hurry.
Expedite Tier, or rate, is usually assigned to a carrier within a few days from the first date available. And then typically picked up one or two days after being assigned. We highly recommend using the expedited rate as our customers report high satisfaction with it.
Rush Tier, or rate, is usually assigned to a carrier within one or two days from the first date available. And then typically picked up one or two days after being assigned. It is ideal for last-minute orders, or for people who are in a huge hurry.
Tips for Preparing Your Vehicle for Car Shipping from Atlanta to Phoenix
Before transporting your vehicle, there are several things you can do to prepare it for transport:
- Be sure to clean your vehicle thoroughly, both inside and out. That will help you identify any pre-existing damage and ensure your vehicle is in good condition before transport.
- Be sure to remove any personal items from your vehicle, as most auto transport companies do not allow personal items to be transported. They are mindful of the weight.
- Disable any alarms or anti-theft devices and remove external accessories like bike racks or spoilers. Height is a concern to auto shippers.
- Take plenty of photos documenting your vehicle’s condition before handing it over to the truck driver. A picture is worth a thousand words.
- Reduce your gas tank to about 1/4 full, or no more than half a tank. Once again, weight is the concern and gasoline is heavy.
Insurance Coverage for Auto Transport from Atlanta to Phoenix
When transporting your vehicle, it’s essential to ensure it’s adequately insured. Most auto transport companies offer insurance coverage for your car during transport. However, the amount of coverage may vary from company to company. Maintaining your insurance on your vehicle is an excellent idea.
The Original Car Shipping Quote Calculator
Direct Express Auto Transport originated the instant car shipping quote calculator in 2004. It is still the best, most sophisticated, reliable tool available anywhere online. We offer three options that we call tiers of car shipping estimates. The standard rate is the cheapest car shipping quote, but it may take longer. Use it if you are patient. The expedited car shipping rate is most recommended, and we have countless satisfied customers because the shipping process tends to go quicker. The rush rate is our highest level of car shipping service, and many customers are glad they went with that method.