Whether you need to move your vehicle 500 miles in state or 3,000 miles across the country from Miami to Seattle, shipping your car with…
The United States automobile market is one of the largest in the world. Each year, the industry’s top automakers compete in a nationwide popularity contest to attract potential buyers. Each year, the numbers change. Here are the most popular cars in the U.S. for 2019.
The Nationwide Top 10
Auto insurance comparison site Insurify collected data from over 1.6 million car insurance applications in the year 2019. These are the top ten most common cars.
- Honda Accord
- Honda Civic
- Nissan Altima
- Chevrolet Impala
- Toyota Camry
- Ford Focus
- Ford Explorer
- Toyota Corolla
- Chevrolet Malibu
- Subaru Legacy
Takeaways From the Nationwide Top 10
- In 2019, sedans reign supreme. All but one of the top ten car models are sedans, with the one exception being the Ford Explorer.
- In 2019, models from foreign automakers have a slight edge. Six of the top ten models are made by foreign companies, while four are made domestically.
- In 2019, bigger is not better. No trucks, vans, or extra-large SUVs grace the nationwide top ten.
A Regional Look at the Most Popular Vehicles in the U.S.
As you might expect, the most popular vehicles in the U.S. vary from region to region — even state to state. Here are a few closer looks at the most popular vehicles in regions around the country.
- Domestic automakers have a stronghold in northern states. Ford and Chevrolet have the most popular vehicles (the Explorer and the Impala respectively) in ten adjacent states, spanning from Montana to the great lakes.
- Honda rules the west coast. All states west of Colorado (besides the aforementioned Montana and Wyoming) have a Honda model as their most popular car, except for Nevada, where the Toyota Camry is most popular.
- The Nissan Altima is the car of choice in the following southeastern states: Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama.
- The Honda Accord dominates the eastern seaboard, holding the number one spot from Georgia to New York.
Land of the Freeway: Most Popular Cars by State. Insurify Insights. 2019.