Studebaker President State Vehicle Transport Quote
The Studebaker President was the leading automobile manufactured by the Studebaker Corporation of South Bend, Indiana during the 1927 to 1942 model years. Prior to 1927, Studebaker's premium model was the Studebaker Big Six. The President nameplate was reintroduced in 1955 and was used until the end of the 1958 model when the name was retired. The very first automobile wearing the name President was created on July 23, 1926, and was designated internally as the ES model. Studebaker spared no expense in funding the President, as the company's goal was to make the President the greatest automobile on the American roadways. For example, Presidents that were produced from 1928 to 1933 established land speed records, some of which remained untouched for ten or more years. In a bout of innovation, in 1932 Studebaker introduced headlights that were oblong in shape and made identification of the President easier. By 1934, Studebaker began the task of streamlining its vehicles. In doing so, the company issued a new body, which became a trim level for the Dictator, the Commander and the President. These new models were easily identifiable by their features, the trunk and the full fender skirts on the rear of the vehicle. In 1935, the President was offered with an optional steel sliding roof similar to sunroofs common on vehicles today. Additionally, vehicles manufactured after 1937 showed the influence of industrial designer Raymond Loewy, who was hired as Studebaker's design consultant by this time. In 1937 Studebaker offered its an anti-rollback system as standard on the President, as well as a semi-automatic transmission that featured a dashboard-mounted shifter. This special transmission was dropped in 1939 when the transmission shift lever was relocated to the steering wheel column. One thing is for sure; 'President' is a great name for an automobile.