Mercury Montclair

The vehicle name, Montclair, was first used in 1955 and attached to Mercury's premium automobile line. A general consensus is that the vehicle was named after the upper class community of Montclair, New Jersey, although this can be debated. For 1955 and 1956, the Montclair models featured Mercury's best details including extra chrome trim and different two-tone paint combinations that set them apart from other Mercury products. The Mercury Montclair itself was a full size automobile produced by the Mercury Division of the Ford Motor Company from 1955 to 1957, the M-E-L Division of Ford Motor Company 1958 to 1959 and by the Lincoln Mercury Division of the Ford Motor Company from 1964 to 1968. Needless to say, it has been around. In 1957 the Montclair name was pushed down by the introduction of the Mercury Turnpike Cruiser. The Montclair model line also included the Sun Valley model which featured a Plexiglas bubble over the front half of the roof section. While futuristic cars were often featured with clear glass tops in the 1950s, buyers did not like the tinted glass roof on the Sun Valley. In fact, they hated it so much that only 1,500 were produced in 1955. This was due to the fact that the heat buildup in the interior of the vehicles was too much. One would think that the designers would have considered a little thing called the greenhouse effect, but it seems not. Anyhow, following lower sales of the Sun Valley for 1956, the cars were dropped from the model line up for 1957. The Montclair and Park Lane models were restored to life for the 1964 model year and remained in production until the name was retired at the end of the 1968 model year as it was replaced by the Monterey Custom.