Chrysler Town & Country Wagon

Let's travel a long way back in time and visit the introduction of the Town and Country Wagon. The year was 1941, and Chrysler debuted the first woodie wagon with an all-steel roof. The car was immediately dubbed the Town & Country. As many times occurs, unpredictable events around the world affect the life and success of a product. Such was the case with the Town and Country Wagon. Production of the car was forced to stop during World War II. Sadly, during 1941 and 1942, less than 1,000 units were manufactured. Nevertheless, the Wagon made a reappearance after the war. The Town & Country returned, this time being produced in much larger numbers. In fact the line of Town and Country wagons was even expanded to include sedans, coupes, and convertibles. These model were produced from 1946 to 1950. Finally, in 1950, production of the original Town & Country ended. But, don't fear, the Wagon made another comeback in 1965. It remained on the market until 1977 as a full-size rear wheel drive station wagon based on the Chrysler C platform. This was the same platform that was also used for the Chrysler New Yorker and Plymouth Fury. The Town and Country Wagon was launched as a replacement to the Chrysler Newport station wagon. Beginning in 1978 and ending in 1981, the Town & Country was again a rear wheel drive full-size car. Granted it was much smaller than the early to mid 1970s versions, but it did share the body shell with the compact Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare wagons. Then from 1982 to 1988, the Town and Country name was used on a station wagon version of the LeBaron. A special Town and Country convertible was even manufactured in 1983. This special model featured fake wood paneling that made it resemble the original 1940s convertibles, which would of course not make it very popular today, but things were a little different in the eighties.